“Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.”
- Steve Maraboli
Once upon a time I had a great friend. We went through a lot of the same sh** as kids and we really bonded about that. We were there for each other. We got each other, in a way that no one else could because they had not been through the same traumatic childhood.
We were very different, however. But that didn't hurt our friendship, it helped it. There was a balance. I love love love people and being "out there," and she doesn't. She accepted that about me and I about her, and we balanced each other well.
Then one day, quite unexpectedly, it all changed. She became very judgey and controlling and when I told her the truth about some things, and told her some difficult sh** that was going on, as I always do, she judged -- and pushed me away. She kicked me when I was down.
Wow did that hurt. It came out of nowhere.
Or did it?
As I nursed the wounds of being kicked when I was down by someone I considered not only a friend but family, I recalled many red flags over the years. That I had chosen to ignore.
I asked the Universe, as I always do, "What's the lesson here? What do I need to learn? What do I need to do differently? How can I teach others from what I have lived and the pain I have endured?"
And here is what came:
- Keep being your authentic self anyway.
- Keep opening your heart anyway.
- Keep loving anyway.
- Keep trusting anyway.
- Keep ignoring the "unappealing qualities" anyway.
- Keep shining your light anyway.
- Cherish the friendship and good times that you had, and move on.
- Some people come into your life for a specific reason, for a specific amount of time.
- There are seasons to friendships. It doesn't make them "good "or "bad." It just is. It is what it is.
- Don't try to explain. Either people get you or they don't.
- Explaining is a waste of precious time and energy.
And man did all of that ring true for me. You know how I knew that it did? Because you know the truth by how it feels.
Sometimes we can get all wigged out and spun out by words and stories and drama. But you always know the truth by how it feels.
Have the best day ever!
Taylor plus 5